Sleep Better with an Eye Mask!
How can eye masks help you sleep better?
We all understand the importance of sleep to our health, however if you are sleep deprived we sometimes make the quick decision to turn to non-natural methods to getting to sleep again. Sleeping pills can be highly addictive and generally only recommended for short periods of time for serious conditions.
If occasional sleeplessness occurs chances are an eye mask will work for you and have you back to restful and relaxing sleep.
The biggest distractions of sleep are light and noise!
When your brain senses pure darkness the production of melatonin, the chemical of sleep, commences. When you block out both noise and light your chances of falling asleep and staying asleep are improved.
Two simple ways to do this are with ear plugs and an eye mask. The market is flooded with fancy eye masks that not only block light but are weighted, bluetooth, play music, track your sleep patterns etc.
If you are already finding it hard to get to sleep adding a complicated eye mask may add to your stress!
Try a simple eye mask and if you want the added benefits of protecting the skin around your eyes from damage whilst you sleep opt for silk.
Some other simple suggestions include:
- Stick to a sleep schedule of the same bed and wake up time, even on the weekends
- Have a relaxing bedtime ritual- bath, shower, turn off phone an hour before bed, read a book, meditate
- Avoids naps during the day
- Exercise daily
- Sleep on a comfortable mattress and pillow
- Avoid alcohol, cigarettes and heavy meals in the evening
- Evaluate your bedroom temperature, light, noise, declutter etc